My life

Lurching from one disaster to another...just a suburban princess trying to get by!



Tuesday 5 June 2012

Goodbye...

God's finger touched him, and he slept.
Alfred Lord Tennyson

 

Today we buried my Father-in-Law.  The ceremony was simple and dignified

It was a difficult day for the family, but also one of closure.

He was a sports star as a young man, worked for the railways for much of is working life, was a husband and father. 

My enduring memory was his insistence on calling me Josie for all the years I knew him, neither my name or even an abbreviation!  No matter how many times he was told of my name he steadfastly insisted upon it being Josie. 

So today's post is respectfully dedicated to him, for without his existence I would not have my darling husband nor my two sisters-in-law.

           “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back.     May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”

1 comment:

  1. i wonder if there was a secret "Josie" in his life that he held in private affection? hooray for loving FILs and their place in our lives, as the father of the one we love, and the bringer of new family to us. i know seeing his children with wonderful partners was an enormous comfort to my Dad … i'm sure your FIL felt the same. xt

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...