My life

Lurching from one disaster to another...just a suburban princess trying to get by!



Friday 5 October 2012

Burgled...


So we have now lived in our “new” place for 6 months. Everything is going smoothly; I love the modern touches, the ensuite, WIR and cupboard under the stairs (pantry).  I am also keen on the fact that almost no maintenance is required and it is easy to clean (lucky, as I have been in hospital for almost half the time we’ve lived here!).

We are in a “nice” part of town, close to the city centre, parks and museums…ideal.
 
Yesterday my husband happened to be speaking to someone who it turns out lived here before us…total fluke.  It turns out that they moved out after the place was burgled…worse than that, someone broke in and cleaned out the downstairs while they slept upstairs, stole their car and used it to transport not only their belongings but also those of the three neighbouring places.

FARK!!!

So now I am even more paranoid about key-locking windows & deadlocks…as if I wasn’t paranoid enough!  I would get the security company to re-activate the alarm but the cats would set off the movement sensors.
 

So my question to you is have you ever been burgled or are you hyper-vigilant about home security?
Love Jo xxx

3 comments:

  1. Thats a bit terrifying! I am not very vigilant about security at all. Growing up in a small town where everyone left their doors open is still in me.... hubby gets very irritated at it sometimes! You have inspired me to get a bit more mindful of security now though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been burgled (touch wood). Had a few close calls but I believe our dogs, who don't take kindly to strangers, have saved us. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you're careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hypervigilant and it drives everyone who ever visits me nuts! They have to get through keylocked doors to get in and out, but it's how I've lived safely all these years and I swear by it. I even drive with the doors and windows locked. (I lived in London and travelled through the US in the carjacking days). The place I lived in last was burgled just last week while the owners slept. They were always lax with security and there were two doors that didn't lock properly that they didn't worry about fixing. And the front screen door never locked properly. And they said: Don't worry about it, we never get robbed. It always worried me and I'm so glad I'm out of there.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...