My life

Lurching from one disaster to another...just a suburban princess trying to get by!



Sunday 10 April 2011

Failure...

I was surfing the interwebs and came across this little gem.  I am sure many of you have seen it, possibly even blogged about it. I refer to the article, The Good Wife’s Guide, Housekeeping Monthly, 13 May 1955.

Over the years these “rules” have caused much mirth between MrQ and me.  Seeing as he didn’t marry a doormat and I didn’t choose to spend my life with a sexist pig our lives don’t bear much resemblance to that of the “ideal” 1950’s household.
Some of our favourites include:
R  Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. I was a SAHM until my son was 11 months old, most of the time I was lucky to have had a shower by the time MrQ got home!  Once I went back to work all bets were off.

R  Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.  Isn’t that how you speak to animals, small children and idiots? Annnnd, there is no way I am going near THOSE feet!

R  Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember his topics of conversation are more important that yours. Yeah, of course they are *snort*.

R  Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.  Oh dear, epic fail there!

R  A good wife always knows her place. Yep, front and centre next to my husband!
Now that our son is older the house is usually clean(ish).  As I work from home it is easier for me to shop, cook and clean – but this is my choice, not his expectation.
I do have nights when he comes home to a bombsite, I can be a cranky bitch and we often have, shall we call them, “robust discussions”.
So it would appear that by these rules as a wife I am a failure.  I believe that we have equal rights, a partnership. Neither one is more important; we have a good marriage based on mutual respect.

How do you “fail” as a wife?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love that guide ... no wonder women back their were addicted to 'mother's little helper'. (I never really found out what that was; I think it may have been gin...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe it was Gin and Valium...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...