My life

Lurching from one disaster to another...just a suburban princess trying to get by!



Saturday 23 April 2011

I have a confession....

I have never owned a Barbie doll.

Now as a girl child in the ‘70’s I must have been one of only a few in the world. Everyone I knew had a Barbie doll...I used to go to my friend’s houses and marvel over the range of accessories and dresses and bits and pieces of plastic crap their clearly more stylish parents bought for them.

Barbie seems to be a bit of a slapper...or is that just me?

I had a Cindy doll...pfft. I pretended she was Barbie...

The only daughter I was blessed with came into my life when she was already 10 years old, so way past the Barbie stage. My eldest boy was 4 and obsessed with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so no joy there.

My younger son was always a real boy. He gravitated towards mud, rough and tumble and trucks from a very early age. Because I wanted to be the best Mum I could be and raise a well rounded child, one not weighed down with the sexist limitations placed upon children by society (or something), I bought him a Barbie doll when he was about 2. He took one look and then left her in the toy box for a week.

The next time I saw her, her clothes had been removed, her head pulled off and her remains were chucked in the back of a Tonka truck...

It gives you pause when you idly wonder if your son is going become a psycho... When people ask if there were signs of “off” behaviour when he was small...

But then he started to take apart EVERYTHING, toys, trucks, appliances, so I figured he was just a destructive little bugger and not a budding serial killer!

When he was about 4ish, Aqua released the song “Barbie Girl”. Go on, have a listen, you know you want to...





All the kids at daycare, he was friends with mostly little girls it seemed, were obsessed, and their carers let them listen to this song endlessly...

One day my son said “Mummy, I really hate that song...it is driving me crazy!” I suggested that he ask for a different song to be played occasionally but he said ”But Mummy, my girlfriend just loves it, and I want her to be happy...”

Awww...

2 comments:

  1. Don't think you have too much to worry about there with your youngest son, lol. Sounds like he has it all figured out. I was worried when my son used to play dressup in daycare...he would wear the necklaces & handbags like all the little girls. It seems it was merely a ploy to hang out with the cute little girls!!

    I, too, didn't have my own Barbie (& I'm sure I'm still psychologically scarred today, lol) my sister got the most beautiful Barbie dolls & accessories...my parents wanted a boy, so I got all the Fisher Price play sets & Lego (loved them, but always had a thing for Barbie). Funny though when I had a daughter, she wasn't interested in Barbie, so I couldn't even live vicariously through her :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone - I was a no barbie girl too - always wanted one but just never got one! My girls never liked barbie either but loved bratz dolls - I played with them for abit - got my fix and now I'm cured- twitch twicth- or am I???

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...